Preparing For Your 2022 Pharmacists Annual Renewal
Annual renewals are now open for Pharmacists and Pharmacy Technicians across Ontario, due March 10, 2022.
When completing your Ontario College of Pharmacists annual renewal, you are required to answer the questions honestly and transparently. Failing to do so can lead to an investigation or allegations of professional misconduct, which could result in disciplinary action.
Annual renewals are standard for regulated health professional. Most of the time, a Pharmacist would complete their annual renewal on their own, without the assistance or advice of counsel. However, there may be times in a Pharmacist’s career that their annual renewal is not as straightforward and can lead to additional questions and inquiry by the College.
On your annual renewal, you will be asked questions, including the following:
- Whether you are currently charged with a criminal offence or any other offence in Ontario or any other jurisdiction
- Whether, since your last renewal, you were charged or found guilty of a criminal offence or any other offence by a court in Ontario or any other jurisdiction
- Whether you are currently the subject of an investigation, review, or proceeding for professional misconduct, incompetence or incapacity (by a body other than the College)
- Whether you have had a finding of professional misconduct, incompetence or incapacity made against you (by a body other than the College)
- Whether you are the subject of a civil court proceeding with respect to pharmacy practice and any other profession or occupation
- Whether there has been a finding of professional negligence or malpractice against you with respect to the practice of pharmacy or another other profession or occupation
Clarity and Accuracy is Essential
In the event that you answer any of the questions above in the affirmative, you will be asked to provide an explanation. The explanation you provide must be clear and accurate, and it may call for the provision of additional documentation. It’s important to keep in mind that any statements and/or documentation you provide to the College through this process can be used against you in disciplinary proceedings.
The lawyers at Damien Frost & Associates LLP can assist you with this process, in order to ensure that proper information and documentation is provided to the Ontario College of Pharmacists, and that your interests are protected. We are happy to work with any criminal and/or civil counsel you may have, in order to ensure that proper information is provided to the College, while ensuring that any ongoing or outstanding proceedings are also protected.